Where I've Been


View Jeb's Journeys in a larger map

Friday, February 8, 2013

Sasse Mountain and Point 5159, but not Not so Sasse


View Sasse Mountain in a larger map

Having not been out since Sunday, I needed to find a fairly mellow hike to keep things moving in preparation for my plans to summit Mount Saint Helens tomorrow. The forecast was for clear skies so I settled on Sasse Mountain near Salmon la Sac since I missed out on the views on my recent trip to nearby Hex  Mountain. 
DSCF1482 DSCF1535
DSCF1608 DSCF1477


At 730 I left the car and followed a solid trench up the old road just south of the Henderson Creek Trail. We stayed left when one path split off toward Hex Mountain then left the road just before Howson Creek, heading directly towards point 5159. Around 3000 feet the snow surface rapidly changed from solid cascade concrete to  deep fluffy powder. 
DSCF1527 DSCF1529 DSCF1533
DSCF1532 DSCF1561


I believed 5159 to be the only sub peak of Sasse Mountain with more than 200 feet of prominence. More on that later. From the endpoint of a knife,edge ridge just below the summit I had a clear view from Mount Daniels to Thompson Mountain. 

DSCF1521 DSCF1567
Point 5159 Pano

We gained and lost a few 100 feet while avoiding several sketchy looking cornices along the ridge to Sasse. Tahoma and Mount Stuart each appeared several times along the ridge walk but thick forest blacks any view from the main summit. 

DSCF1538 DSCF1568 DSCF1574
Hinman to Goat Mountain

Frigid wind from the NW continued to blow and the sun was free of clouds all day. A small front of darkish clouds lingered along the Cascade Crest into late afternoon. We exited along the north face of the west ridge (it turns out that the first peak along this ridge and the only on in my path that I choose not to summit, known as Not so Sasse, has at least 208ft of prominence. Oh well, I'll be back with reinforcements!) and joined the Henderson Creek Trail just after crossing the creek of the same name. 

DSCF1565 DSCF1543 DSCF1598
DSCF1585 DSCF1611
NW Meadows Pano

No comments: