Where I've Been


View Jeb's Journeys in a larger map

Monday, January 21, 2013

Keechelus Ridge Snowshoe


View Keechelus Ridge Snowshoe in a larger map
Work was canceled at the last minute so rather than waste the day I took the dog up to Keechelus Ridge for a romp in the snow. From the price Creek snow park off exit 62 I followed the road half way up then a series of snowshoe trenches straight uphill to the radio towers. There were snowmobiles everywhere. Their tracks made my still shoes unnecessary, a nice trade off for the noise and smell.

DSCF0976 DSCF1103 DSCF1007
The view from a small point NW of the towers was astounding from Tacoma to Mount Daniels. I put on snowshoes where the snowmobile tracks ended on the ridge up to the true summit. Through an opening to the East I could see from Cabin Mountain over the I 90 corridor all the way to Mount Stuart. I relaxed and dried off in the sun while Auto played in the snow.

DSCF1053 DSCF1083
The weather and views were about perfect so we stayed until the sun disappeared behind the tree line.The top 3-4 inches of snow pack under tall canopy was crusted over making it tough at times to get a solid bite into with my snowshoes. I sought out openings with fresh powder to plunge step down wherever possible. We traversed about a quarter mile to the West and then made a direct descent East of Noble Creek to Forest Road 4832 just East of Road 124.

Kacheelus Ridge Pano DSCF1116 DSCF1127
 Snow Park Pass required at Trailhead
~2800 ft Elevation Gain
High Point: 5151ft
~7 miles round trip

Microwave Hill Pano DSCF1032 DSCF0982 DSCF0981 DSCF1112 DSCF1097

No comments: