Where I've Been


View Jeb's Journeys in a larger map

Monday, May 6, 2013

2013-5-5 Rattlesnake Ledge with Candy and the boys

Candy and the boys joined me yesterday for a hike. I had high hopes of visiting the Snoqualmie Tunnel, as it usually opens shortly after May 1st each year, but apparently it will be at least another week or two. Julian and Jaxon were excited that they could see Little Si from I-90 so that's where we started, but after 8 am on the hottest Sunday of the year I should have known the parking lot as well as the road would be out of room. With the day getting away from us I decided it would be worth braving the crowds on the way up Rattlesnake Ledge.

DSCF3460 DSCF3463 DSCF3486


The trail was predictably packed, and at the top you could hardly see rock through all of the people gathered on the ledge. We found a good spot on the edge and after a snack I took the boys, one at a time, into the big crack for some exploring. Both did better than I expected with the climbing.

DSCF3502 DSCF3503 DSCF3507

Julian said he was interested in checking out the cave so I grabbed my headlamp and he dove right in the tiny entrance at the bottom of the big crack. We did some exploring and found several passages I had not seen before. I even got him to crawl out through a tiny hole leading to the surface and surprise his mom! On the way out we stopped so the boys could cool off in Rattlesnake Lake.

Ledge Pano
MF Valley Pano

No comments: